John P. Hall, Sr. is most widely known for his service as Sheriff of Clay County. He was first elected in 1928 and served until his retirement in 1965-a State of Florida record 36 years. 

The Charities was founded in the late 1970’s by his son, J. P. Hall, Jr., who incorporated the Charities in 1981 and named it in honor of his father, who was known for helping underprivileged children in Clay County. 

The younger Hall succeeded in his many careers, which included banking, silviculture and ranching. He was proud of his community and helped with many economic development projects. He was extremely generous in his benevolent activities within the community. 

Today, the Charities is directed by his daughter Virginia.